Monday, March 21, 2011

Where are Your People Lord?

     I have asked this question of the Lord many times in prayer. Where are your people Lord? The Lord did not answer me right away or maybe I could not understand the answer. It was only when I got close to some people that then I truly understood where his people are. They were not in some faraway place or hidden away in some secret location. To my surprise they were all the time standing right in front of me.
     What I saw as a stranger to people and not as their friend was a mask that they were wearing. A mask that reflected the world instead of their true selfs. Some people are afraid to let down their guard for fear of being hurt. They put on a hard veneer in order to deflect any blows that might come their way. I could not see them as they truly are because of that protective personality that they were showing me. They put a shield over their true personality because of their fear of rejection.
     I thank God for having the opportunity to see past the mask on a few occasions. I saw people as they truly were. They are not so hard as they pretend to be. I saw people who are afraid and confused. I saw people who are lonely and are hurting inside. I saw people who were not so different from me. The only difference was that they have gotten use to wearing the mask and I wanted to throw mine away. I want to be myself all the time and be that person that God wants me to be. A person who is not afraid of what others might say. I want to be a person who is happy and comfortable with his own existence.
     I did lay down my mask and took a chance to reach out to people and (to my surprise) they in turn reached out to me. I then saw clearly the answer to my question. Where are your people Lord? They were always there, hiding behind their masks and standing right next to me.

3 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful thing when we can learn to see what is behind the mask and see what God sees; thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the masks we wear - it is so true. Everyone has one, I know I do, a mask hiding fear of rejection. But I agree with Toyin, it is indeed a beautiful thing when we get a chance to see what the Lord sees - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following! I've followed your blog too... Have you heard Natalie Grant's song "The Real Me"? Especially the frontrow live version? You must listen to it. It is beautiful and it speaks about people, even Christians, wearing a mask.. but I love the chorus:

    "But You see the real me
    Hiding in my skin
    Broken from within
    Unveil me completely
    I'm loosening my grasp
    There's no need to mask my frailty
    Cause You see the real me"

    ReplyDelete