Monday, April 18, 2016

From My Nothingness, I am still Something

     Today, I was thinking about my losses and failures throughout my life. Working hard to build something only to see it crumble to dust. Working hard to have good health only to be brought down by an illness. I somethings feel like I am working hard and not getting anywhere at all. But a curious thing happens during those hard times in my life, my faith grows and I feel closer to God than in the times when I have everything that I need. When I feel that I am nothing, something deep down inside me tells me I am still something.
     When I feel that everything has been stripped away from me, I still have one thing in my life, my faith. It never leaves me. It has been weaken on some occasions but it has never left me completely. It is like having the voice of God within you, telling you everything will be alright. The apostle Paul said in 2 Corinthians 12:10 "For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. for when I am weak, then I am strong."
     In my humility, my nothingness, I am stronger in my faith. I think sometimes this is why calamities happen in life to bring us back to God. I found that most people who believe that they have nothing, pray more and relied more on God's help. If the God of love saw his people with sin and abundance and not having one coin in heaven, would he not do something about that? He would not stand by and let them be asleep in sin and death. He would try to awaken them to their life's condition. Showing them there is more to life than having pride in one's material possessions. Mark 8:36 "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?
     1 Timothy 6:7 "for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world." If we cannot take anything out of this world when we die, then what do we take with us? The answer is our inner self, our spirit. Matthew 12:36,37 "I tell you, on the day of judgement people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." We will all stand before God and be judged by not what we have but who we are on the inside. When I feel like I have nothing it makes me take a good hard look at myself to who I am. I have come to realize in these bad times in my life that who I really am is a child of God and I cannot be anything else. Trying to be something that I am not only brings me much emotional pain and trouble.
     From my nothingness, I am still something. The person, God created me to be. My inner self glorifies God and longs to be with him in his kingdom. This thinking maybe worthless to the world but it is everything to me. My core being, when in need it cries out to our Father in heaven. This is the truth, with him I feel complete without him I feel lost. Why, because I am his creation and my body, mind and spirit knows somehow this is true. When I am feeling that I am nothing, I can still feel the spirit of God standing beside telling me I am still something. Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

No comments:

Post a Comment