Saturday, July 4, 2015

We are More than Our Body

     As I grow older different health problems arise sometimes limiting me from doing certain things. I find I cannot do the things that I once could do. But I asked myself am I any less for it? Does my body define who I am? When I look at those with physical disabilities, deformities and those that have become limited by health conditions and old age, I can see we are more than our bodies. The person that we are inside define us and not our flesh.
     I talk to a woman that said to me she feels more younger inside than what she sees in the mirror. So I believe the mirror does not reflect back an accurate description of who we are, especially of who we are inside. The only way we can really come to know each other is talking to each other and not judging each other from a distance.
     In 2 Corinthians 4:16 it said, "So do not lost heart. Though our outer body is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day." 2 Corinthians 5:1 "For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." Our outer body is wasting away and when we finally die, our eternal home in heaven awaits us. It is our inner self, our spirit that will reside there. So, our body is not all that we are, we have a spirit and that spirit within us is our true self.
     Those of us that are no longer youthful or cannot get around as much, this physical state of being will never be who we really are. People may judge us by our bodies alone but a day will come when they to will look into the mirror and say this is not my true reflection and I am more than my body's appearance.
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment